Collections on Stromboidea
Generally collections can be divided into two groups:
Challenges for information access to institutional collections:
- there are several thousand institution worldwide
- often these institutions are working with reduced staff, resulting in reduced time for access and in limiting access to certain groups, like scientists
- some institutions are really big, with millions of objects.
- some institutions are lacking a searchable inventory / catalog, leading into problems of finding the right institution and in finding the right material.
Challenges for information access to private collections:
- there is an unknown number of collections at unknown locations owned by unknown persons
- private collections are often small collection with a focus on local material
- language might be a challenge
- lacking inventory / catalog